The word ‘chai’ comes from the Hindu word for tea. A chai latte is a drink made out of black tea of choice, spice blend, sweetener, and hot milk.
How to make a chai latte at home?
To brew the perfect chai latte at home, you’ll need:
- loose-leaf black tea of choice (for example Assam, Ceylon, English Breakfast).
- spices – cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, peppercorns.
- favorite milk – dairy or plant-based.
- sweetener – honey, maple syrup, or sugar.
- Toast the spices in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add water, and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the tea leaves. Cover and steep for about 10 minutes.
- Add the sweetener and stir until dissolved.
- Heat up and froth the milk using a milk frother.
- Pour 3/4 cup of the warm tea into a cup. Add 1/2 cup of warmed milk and stir to combine.
- Top with a spoonful of milk froth.